Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Nausea

That is what I felt mid-way through a movie at the cinema.

This is how I felt watching 'United 93'.

I shamelessly walked out of the cinema 1 hour into the movie. Just when the terrorists were about to hijack the plane, United 93. I would have stayed on to watch, and probably save my 9 dollars worth, but I couldn't hang on anymore. My head was spinning, my insides were churning, it wasn't a pretty feeling. And what worse, I just had to give up right at the part where it got interesting, the hijack. Everybody was being sucked in by the atmosphere on the plane, while I had to take the walk of shame all the way from the back of the cinema, up till the side entrance where the big ole EXIT sign was.

Once free, I quickly dashed to the mens and quietly deposited whatever I had for lunch into the toilet. Am I that weak? I hadn't experienced motion sickness on a real plane before, let alone a boat out on water. But this??! I'm lost for words. If it was on a smaller screen then maybe I could have been able to stomach it. Just to let you know, the director took on a different approach in capturing the picture. Instead of the still and focused picture you normally get in the movies, this movie is shot as if taken by a person in the movie. Something like making your own home-made movie, with the shaky hands and all that. Not to mention the never-ending back and forth switching of scenes, plus shaky hands, a full proof recipe for causing nausea or motion-sickness. Well, in my opinion anyway. Or maybe I'm just being a wuss. You be the judge. Watch the movie, then let me know.

No comments: