Friday, September 08, 2006

Sometimes,

you just want to hide in your room.
Lock yourself in, away from the trouble, away from the evil world.

Have you ever woken up, and just felt awful? You wake to the pitter patter of rain against your window. Great. It is still raining. You hurry to get dressed and prepare for classes. There isn't enough time to have breakfast, let alone prepare something for lunch. You think of getting brunch in between classes, and you are out the door. The rain has subsided a little bit. You don't bother using an umbrella, and dash to uni.

You've got a two hour lecture, a tutorial, and another lecture to finish off the day. With no breaks in between. Just perfect, at least you've got more time to snooze the night away before tackling the books. So you attend the two hour lecture, hoping that the lecturer finishes early so that you may have some time to get something to eat in between. But no, he decides to use up every single second he has with you. Probably trying to cram everything in before we all go on our two weeks break. For most of us, we will be using up half that break working, and then the remainder travelling, catching up with studies, or just taking a breather from all the studying. Something a student looks forward to after all the rushing to meet assignment deadlines and cramming for mid-semester exams. I am definitely looking forward to it.

So the lecture ends. No time to waste. You dash to the cafeteria, you decide to get a sandwich. You open your wallet, great. Empty. Another minute wasted there and then. You rush to the automated teller machine. There is a line. Why must there always be a line whenever you need to rush? You wait impatiently for your turn. You battle with your conscience about how much money to withdraw in order to sustain yourself for the week. You remember that you have collected some money previously which belongs to the club which you belong to, and will be meeting up with them later. So you decide to take that out and at the same time free yourself of any other obligations. You look at your watch, your five minute window is almost up. There isn't enought time to get lunch now. You curse quietly at the people in front of you messing about at the ATM. It is finally your turn. You key in $---. As you are waiting to receive the cash, the rain gets heavier. Damn, not only will you not be getting any lunch for yourself, the rain just got heavier and your class is at the other end of the campus. The cash 'gushes' out, you count them, stash it into your pocket, and dash to class. You avoid puddles, and the endless jungle of umbrella claded students. All transitioning between classes.

You reach the class in time, but hadn't any food, and got wet in the process. Sigh. You take a seat and hope that the day takes a turn for the better. What else could go wrong? You've just survived the nightmare.

After another two hours of classes, you're finally done for the day. You go to the gym for training and probably a good game on the courts. You head for the lockers, change into gym attire. Then THE WORST happens.

You're thinking 'what possible worse situation' could I get myself into?

What could make the above described day sound like nothing more than a small price to pay for a better day? Well, you're wrong. My string of bad luck just refused to give in.

I checked my pockets, only to find that the cash I just withdrew earlier in the day, had disappeared. *smacks self* Blardy awesome isn't it? Just when you think that your luck is starting to turn. You find yourself in a much deeper hole. You feel like screaming. You retrace your steps, but find nothing. No luck. To even think about the possibility is insane. You are in the middle of university. Thousands of students walk about the place. You just have to accept defeat and suck it all in. You may have dropped it while rushing in between classes, in the middle of the rain.

It would be a wasted effort if you were to try seaching for it now, but you try anyway. Hoping that luck may still turn. After a few rounds, you give up. You accept. I was foolish for not taking extra precautions, or being more careful, but what can I say? It was one of those days. You fall, you get up, you learn. And pray blardy hard that you NEVER make the same mistake again.

I now think back to what I said about students using half their break to work and then take a breather for travelling or just lazing about. I now think I have to work both weeks away. Sigh. I totally regret what happened today. I totally detest myself for it. I lost something. Something I've never done before.

But don't worry. I am fine. I have decided to make this a lesson learnt. Swearing to myself to never make this kind of mistake again. I just have to work my way out of this mess. Something I am totally capable of accomplishing. I just needed to rant about it. Let it out. If not I'd go crazy and beat myself up about it for weeks, months. I need to refocus myself.

I now look forward to finding a good paying job to help me get back on track. I hope I find one soon though. Because the place where I am working at now pays me in peanuts. And they don't give me enough work to begin with. Sigh. What a day, what a day.

No comments: