Wednesday, November 08, 2006

5% free exam marks

3.28.06 Rehash

Today one of our economics lecturer was offering students 5% free exam marks for the finals. How awesome is that? As an economics student, I know that 'nothing' comes for free. The free 5% marks obviously comes with a catch, and the catch was, that we beat him at push-ups. The guys had to beat him fair and square, while the girls had only to do 50% better than him. Good bargain don't you think?

At first glance you'd think that "oh, thats easy". The lecturer was probably in his forties, with greys and all, so then why push-ups? Maybe a math or problem solving quiz, but push-ups? Everybody in the lecture room had doubts about the challenge. Could this old, economics lecturer be an exercise maniac? A push-up freak perhaps? Maybe not, but since it is 5% marks on top of the finals, a handful of us took up his challenge. 5% is actually quite alot considering that this is one of the more challenging subjects so far, I really needed that 5%!

So, a handful of us went in front of the whole lecture, got down and did push-ups in front of the entire class. Yes, I went down there too. The last time I did push-ups, probably 7 years ago? I could manage a 40. Time to see if I still had it in me. With all my strenght, I still managed a 40, before my hands started to tremble and shake. Damn. Only 40? But before giving up, I still managed to pull and extra 12 before collapsing onto the floor, making it a 52, just to be 'safe'. Alot of the other guys managed to get past 60. Bastards. WayyYYyy safe if you ask me, but is it?

After all the students had done their round, it was the lecturer's turn to do push-ups. He got down, and everyone in the theater was cheering him on. Dammit, why cheer for him when some of us are challenging him for the 5 marks?? Idiots.

So the lecturer did push-ups. 30.. 40.......45... Shit, cutting it close don't you think? 50.....DAMMIT STOP! 51.. damn...52....there goes the effort... 55... omg the man is a monster...60... after pulling all his strenght, he stopped at 66.

66!! The old bugger did 66 push-ups at one go! Only 3 students managed to get more than 66. Lucky bastards. All my effort for naught. Later that day, I heard that the lecturer had also offered the other lecture stream the same challenge, only one student stood up to the challenge and managed a 50. Lecturer did only 57. NoooOoo! I should have attended that lecture and probably force myself to go as far as possible. Maybe I would have had a better chance, or maybe not. Doing push-ups back to back would probably be too tiring for me. I probably would only be able to pull a 30. *sigh*. Weakling.

After all that hoo haa, I'm back in my room, studying the night away. Damn push-ups.


No comments: